Wayne County’s TRUSTED news source.

Click here to stay informed and subscribe to the Wayne County News.

Click #isupportlocal for more information on supporting our local journalists.

20211014-hd-blotter2

The Kenova and Ceredo volunteer fire departments responded Tuesday to reports of a fire at 1210 Oak St. in Kenova.

KENOVA — A kitchen appliance is believed to have started a fire at a Kenova apartment building Tuesday.

According to the Kenova Volunteer Fire Department, firefighters were dispatched with the Ceredo Volunteer Fire Department to reports of a fire at 1210 Oak St.

Firefighters arrived at the apartment building within three minutes to find flames shooting from windows in a second story of the building. The fire was put out within 20 minutes and damage was contained to the apartment of origin, with minimal smoke and water damage affecting the rest of the building.

Firefighters remained on scene for at least another hour to help with ventilation. An initial investigation concluded the fire started with an air fryer malfunction.

The American Red Cross was contacted to help the building’s occupants.

Courtney Hessler is a reporter for The Herald-Dispatch, covering police and courts. Follow her on Facebook.com/CHesslerHD and via Twitter @HesslerHD.

Recommended for you